Battinburg Italian-Style Spicy Sauce
– Battinburg Italian-Style Spicy Sauce –
If you love OUTSTANDING FLAVOR followed by the realization that your upper lip is perspiring, then you gotta try our Italian-style Spicy Sauce. It is SOOOO FLAVORFUL and thick…did we mention full of flavor?!!!…and it’s great to use with chicken wings, chicken breasts; slather on your favorite ribs…or just grab a potato out of the microwave, cut it open, and throw a couple of spoonfuls of our sauce over top and….yum!
Yes – we know – this has nothing at all to do with baking…but we got accepted as a content contributor to Daily Buzz Food; and the #1 topic for this week was Hot Sauce…how could we not contribute our recipe?
The beauty of this recipe is that you can make a double (or triple) batch, pour it into a zipper freezer bag, and toss it into the freezer (freeze it flat). Need an instant hot wing party for the big game? Re-heat the bag of sauce, broil up (or fry) your wings, and viola! Need a quick dinner after a long day? Grab the sauce out of the freezer, break off a piece about the size you need, toss it on your already cooked food (add to mashed potatoes for a MAJOR treat!), and you are ready to enjoy…no need to re-heat the whole batch! Easy, easy, easy — and good, good, GOOD!!!
One thing…we have tried using other hot sauces as our base…don’t do it. You won’t get the flavor that Louisiana sauce provides…you will only get heat (which defeats our entire “full-of-flavor” purpose).
Ciao for Now!
V & K
Battinburg Italian-Style Hot Sauce
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups Franks Louisiana Hot sauce
- 1/4 cup lemon juice & red wine vinegar (mixed together)
- 4 Tbsp each garlic powder, onion powder, and sugar
- 1/2 cup dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp + 4 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 cup dried parsley
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2-3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
Combine the lemon juice, vinegar, and Louisiana sauce together in a blender (or use a large bowl and an immersion mixer so you can save your blender for smoothies).
Add the spices and Parmesan cheese. Mix until well-blended. Add the melted butter. Mix until well blended. This can be used immediately or put into a zipper freezer bag and frozen until ready to use. When ready, break off a piece about the size you want and heat through.
Anything spicy like this is usually served with a creamy dressing to help re-set the palate for the next bite. We suggest serving with a fresh garden salad or cut up celery and carrots with ranch and/or bleu cheese dressing or sour cream mixed with horseradish if you’re a real die hard heat/flavor fan! If you see sweat beading on a guest’s forehead, you’ll know you did it right!
- For extra heat without additional flavor, add some cayenne pepper.
- For extra “zip” without added heat, add 1-2 tbsp ground black pepper & garlic powder.
- To add additional flavor, especially when using for beef or lamb, increase oregano to 3/4 cup and add 2 Tbsp rosemary (pulverized to a powder) -or- add 1/4 cup prepared horseradish.