Daring Baker-September: Tres Leches
If you recall, Daring Baker’s Challenge is a global group of bakers who come together to work on the same recipe. Each month, there is a “host” who provides the basic recipe along with comments and suggestions. Then, we the fellow challengers go forth and either make the recipe as is, or we can get creative and put on our own personal touches. Then, on the 27th of the month we post our blogs and disclose both the challenge and our response to it.
September brings us a Tres Leche Cake challenge.
Classic Tres Leches Cake:
- 5 large eggs (separated)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 cup all- purpose flour (sifted)
For tres leches syrup
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (12 oz) coconut milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
Topping and filling
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Canned or fresh fruit (to fill and decorate the cake)
Directions for the Sponge Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and lightly flour a square 9”x9” pan or 9” round cake pan
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites on medium speed for 3 -5 minutes until soft peaks form. When soft peaks form, slowly add the sugar in 3-4 small batches. Increase speed and whip until stiff peaks form; about 5 minutes more. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks at medium-high speed for about 5 to 6 minutes, or until the egg yolks become pale colored, creamy and puffy. Stir in vanilla and melted butter.
- Pour the egg yolks over the egg whites; gently fold until just combined trying not to lose any volume from the mixture.
- Fold in the flour little by little. Mix until just combined (over-beating will result in a denser, flatter cake. However, make sure all the flour is incorporated or else you will get pockets of flour in your cake).
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean
- Let it cool. Once cool, split the cake in half, flip the top of the cake and place it on a base. Poke using a fork holes all over the cake to better absorb the tres leches soaking liquid.
Tres Leches syrup
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sweetened condensed milk, coconut milk milk, heavy cream and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and continue boiling for 5 minutes. Remove it and let it cool.
- Once it is cool, gradually brush on all of the milk; soaking liquid into all sides of the cake (including the cut surfaces) until all absorbed. Best if left to rest in the fridge overnight to complete the soaking process.
Whip the cream. When soft peaks form, add the sugar little by little, and continue whipping until stiff peaks form; about 2 minutes. Spread on top of cakes (we drizzled with the Tres Leches syrup). Serve immediately.